Thu, Nov 10|
Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum
REACH MIDDLE/HIGH come join us for a tour of the Lunatic Asylum!!
Time & Location
Nov 10, 2022, 1:00 PM
Weston, 71 Asylum Dr, Weston, WV 26452, USA
About the event
REACH MIDDLE/HIGH FAMILIES!!
Please come join us for a tour of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. Our group is scheduled for 1:00pm.
**Please arrive approximately 15 minutes early so that the facility can check our group in before the tour.**
Last day to register for this event is October 27th.
Siblings and younger kids are welcomed to join, however, please be mindful of the sensitive topics that may be discussed. This may not be something your family is ready to share with your younger children, so use your discretion to determine this.
The tour will include:
All 4 Floors plus the 2 auxilary buildings (90 min) All of the first floor tour experience plus, step back in time to the 1935 fire that destroyed 4 wards of the Asylum. Visit the doctors' apartments, nurses’ quarters. Journey through Ward F, where the most deviant of patients were kept. Explore the first floor of the Medical Center and the Geriatrics building. Learn the history of medical treatments performed in asylums as well as how this facility helped the local community through two wars and the depression.
- The history of the treatment of the insane prior to state run facilities as well as the people instrumental in improving that treatment.
- The nationwide influence of the Kirkbride Theory.
- The effects the Civil War had on the construction of the oldest parts of the hospital, "The Civil War section."
- The architectural history of the facility.
- The socioeconomic influence of the facility throughout history, including both World Wars and the Depression Era.
- Facts and features unique to the hospital.
- Medical procedures used throughout the years and much more! Lobotomies, Insulin shock therapy, Hydrotherapy
Please note: There will be multiple levels explored with stairs/steps, so comfortable shoes are recommended. Also, please dress appropriately for the weather as the facility is not temperature controlled.
No refunds will be provided unless this event is cancelled or rescheduled, NO EXCEPTIONS.